New Android beta - maps

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 07:41:03 PDT 2018

On 14 March 2018 at 16:01, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
> On 14/03/2018 15:03, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>>

>> using the map center instead of the selected marker is something i did
>> by design because of the following scenario:
>> - the user browses his/her dives on the map
>> - decides to propose a new dive location to friend where there is no
>> marker yet
>> - zooms over that location
>> - copies the location to clipboard
>>
>> if copying/"open in gmaps" of coordinates was only possibly based on a
>> selected marker then the above wouldn't be possible
>> also the menu items would not work at all if there were no markers on the
>> map.
>>
>> maybe the menu text has to be adjusted?
>>
>> lubomir
>> --
>>
> Lubomir, for me the map that interacts with total smoothness is just
> miraculous on the mobile platform. I accept your approach. In that case I
> would do two things.
>
> 1) In the map menu, the option "Open location in Google Maps" is misleading
> because within our context a location is a dive site. Would it make sense to
> change it to 'Change screen to Google maps" ??.

i would like to point out that this is the same menu and behavior as
the desktop map, which has been active for quite some time and we
didn't get negative feedback on this particular topic.
not sure i like "Change screen to Google maps", maybe we should do the
following rename for the menu entries:
"Open location in Google Maps" -> "View in Google Maps"
"Copy location to clipboard (decimal)" -> "Copy coordinates to
clipboard (decimal)"
"Copy location to clipboard (sexagesimal)" -> "Copy coordinates to
clipboard (sexagesimal)"

note the drop of "location" which seems to be the confusing part for
you in this case.

but i would like others to confirm the change. comments?

> 2) Is the pin that is automatically dropped a vital part of the exercise? It
> is just the centre of the previous screen. If you are not convinced, then
> open Google maps but leave out the pin because it distracts from what one is
> trying to do and the centre of the screen has no special meaning ???

i'm not sure i understand what you mean here.
centering the map widget and doing one of the first 3 context menu
entries just works with the map widget center, which to me seems like
the right thing to do and is more flexible.

> Your map is such an excellent contribution. I was impressed  when I cut my
> wifi and mobile data and the smoothness with which the map worked with no
> Internet.

thank you very much!

lubomir