Bluetooth nonfunctional

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun May 13 12:36:56 PDT 2018

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 12:00 PM Willem Ferguson <
willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> Thank yo so much for your time, Linus. Nope, same error. Error bar at
> bottom of Subsurface screen "Unsupported operation".

Yeah, that's just the "none of the protocols we tried worked" error case.

The real problem is simply this:

> Failed to connect to device  00:13:43:5B:8F:BE .
> Device state QBluetoothSocket::UnconnectedState .
> Error: QBluetoothSocket::UnknownSocketError

So it's simply that Qt doesn't successfully connect to the device at all,
and we never even get to the point where we can talk to it.

Why _that_ happens, I have absolutely no idea. There is simply not a lot of
information to go on. It's like the device isn't paired.

We simply do

      serial_port->socket->connectToService(remoteDeviceAddress, ..

and then wait for the socket to go into ConnectedState. Which it obviously
doesn't do. IOW, this isn't a subsurface issue, it's something else.

Now, you *could* try the attached hacky patch, that tries to avoid using Qt
for this, and uses the libdivecomputer rfcomm functionality instead.

This patch requires that you have libbluetooth installed
(bluez-libs-devel), and honestly, I don't think that the Qt rfcomm code is
the problem. But I guess it's easy enough to test this patch.

Other than this patch, I would suggest just trying to unpair and then
re-pair the device. I assume you've done that a number of times already and
it didn't make any difference.

I guess at some point I should just get one of those stupid rfcomm devices.

                 Linus