Hashing videos

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed May 23 07:58:56 PDT 2018

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 1:01 AM Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de> wrote:

> So my choice would be: Completely ignore filename and path, but maybe
take into account length and creation date.

I would disagree. Moving machines, or having the same pictures just on
multiple machines, means that you definitely do not want to take creation
date into account.

Also, I suspect that if you *do* end up photoshopping the picture (fixing
color etc), you would still want it referenced.

So I think it should just do it by filename (not path, although maybe you
want to match up directories "eagerly" - save the path, and use as much of
it as possible, but search for pictures just by filename if you don't find
it in the primary location).

The hashing was always questionable. I think it came from the original "put
the whole picture in the repository" which was a complete disaster.

                 Linus