Dive planner CNS calculations

Robert Helling helling at lmu.de
Fri Nov 9 00:45:55 PST 2018

Hi Willem,

> On 9. Nov 2018, at 09:19, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> I have been doing some testing, as you have seen from emails on the mail list and have looked at the existing Subsurface code in divelist.c.
>
> With respect to the calculation of CNS%, your and my calculations are identical EXCEPT that, for a specific PO2, you only use the next-lower tabulated maximum time and do not interpolate to provide for a PO2 value that is intermediate between two tabulated max-time values (line 214 in divelist.c). We use the same table originating from the NOAA Diving Manual and I think that is safe. Therefore the Subsurface CNS% values are slightly conservative.
>
> With respect to the calculation of OTUs, you use an analogous but different formula from the one provided in the Baker document. At this stage I would not say that the formula in the existing code (line 165 in divelist.c) is better or worse than that of the Baker document (taking into account other bugs in the Baker document). But do you have any idea where the formula in divelist.c comes from? I would like to do more reading around the issue to come to a sensible conclusion about these differences.

thanks a lot for digging into this. Too bad, I have not really had the time, yet, to read up on this (I had a quick glance at the Baker paper though). I should say, this is in no way “my” calculation, I had nothing to do with it. According to

git blame core/divelist.c

Glance wrote that in

commit 186c27f17c0a865c4a484437a28497b6a5765366
Author: Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se>
Date:   Tue Apr 9 19:25:21 2013 +0200

   Add a simple table-based cns calculations

Maybe he knows more.

Best
Robert

                     Scientific Coordinator
                     Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                     http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F