Temperature vs. depth

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Nov 20 23:48:35 PST 2018

> On Nov 20, 2018, at 9:55 PM, Robert Helling <helling at lmu.de> wrote:
>
> yesterday, I had an hour of time and I played around with an idea that I would like to get some feedback on (I already showed it to my wife and she absolutely hated it).

I love your honesty here :-)

> The idea is not to show the temperature as a function of time as we currently do it but rather plot it against depth. I find it much less interesting what the temperature was 28 minutes into the dive but rather want to know what was the temperature at 12m of depth and in particular like to see the positions of thermoclines. So here is a mock up:
>

> The way you are supposed to look at it is that depth is depth but the time axis for this plot becomes the temperature axis (currently the scale is chosen that minutes coincide with degrees centigrade).
> What you are supposed to see is that  above about 15m of depth the water constantly has about 12 degrees thanks to mixing by wind etc. Below that, there is a thermocline and then the temperature goes down continuously. Apparently, I measured slightly different temperatures on the way down and up but that is probably due to a time delay in the sensor to take up temperature readings.
>
> Here is the same dive in the traditional view:
>
> -
>

> This I can imagine you bring up against this idea:
>
> * You really like the old view (of course I would make this optional)
> * This presentation is really confusing, the time axis is supposed to show time.
> * It gets in the way of the depth profile
> * This is not even a function of depth as there is more than one temperature per depth value
>
> Please not that this so far is only a mock up. It would need to get a proper coordinate axis (maybe on top) as the 1minute = 1 degree thing is not god given and in particular does not work in imperial units. Rather than being an overlay on the depth profile it could also be moved to the left or the right of it so it shares the depth axis but gets its own x-axis for temperature (like the other plots sharing the time axis with the depth profile but having their own y-axes). The price for that would of course be horizontal space.
>
> But before investing too much time into this I wanted to gauge if that would be wasted because everybody else hates it or whether it’s worth pursuing.

I think you picked a poor dive to showcase why this is interesting. In your bathtub-profile, the interesting information is fairly easy to eye-ball even on the existing graph.
You need a Linus-style dive. Crazy depth changes all over the place - hey Linus, can you give him one of your wilder 3D dives? Cathedrals or something like that? I've seen some of these profiles and there the correlation of depth and temperature isn't obvious at all in the standard graph (of course cathedrals is by Lanai so there isn't much of a thermocline in the first place, so maybe that one isn't all that interesting, either).

My point is - I think this is worth more investigation.
An optional graph to the left of the main graph (the overlay seems odd). Easy to turn on and off with a button.
I'm curious to hear what others think, but this does seem quite interesting.
Oh, and I'd do it as a scatter plot...

my 2 cents