Temperature vs. depth

Jan Mulder jlmulder at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 21 00:32:12 PST 2018

On 21-11-2018 08:48, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

>> On Nov 20, 2018, at 9:55 PM, Robert Helling <helling at lmu.de
>> <mailto:helling at lmu.de>> wrote:
>>
>> yesterday, I had an hour of time and I played around with an idea that
>> I would like to get some feedback on (I already showed it to my wife
>> and she absolutely hated it).
>

> My point is - I think this is worth more investigation.
> An optional graph to the left of the main graph (the overlay seems odd).
> Easy to turn on and off with a button.
> I'm curious to hear what others think, but this does seem quite interesting.
> Oh, and I'd do it as a scatter plot...

I feel that, while an interesting idea, this will not be tremendously
useful. I see 2 main reasons for this. 1) Only fresh water dives show
relevant thermoclines, and dives at sea tend to have a very limited
temperature change over depth (over the typical range of diving depths).
And 2), more important, I think that a lot of DCs have a very poor
temperature sensor (as in slow responding). That is, as you correctly
said, already visible in the 1 mock up dive (and I believe that the used
OSTC has a very decent, as in quick responding, temperature sensor).

In cave diving, water temperatures are relatively constant, but when
there is a difference, the most interesting, is the place where that is,
so directly related to time, like we have now. So no added value there.

--jan