FTDI on Windows

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Oct 7 15:31:16 PDT 2018

> On Oct 7, 2018, at 3:28 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>

> Now that we finally have a working MXE build that includes the FTDI
> user space code, I’m sad to report that this doesn’t quite work, yet.
>
> Here are the relevant messages in the error log:
>
> INFO: in ftdi_open
> INFO: serial_ftdi_open called
> INFO: setting up ftdi_ctx
> INFO: initialize ftdi_ctx
> INFO: call serial_ftdi_open_device
> INFO: serial_ftdi_open_device called
> INFO: FTDI tried VID 0403 pid 6001 ret -4
>
> ERROR: usb_open() failed
> INFO: serial_ftdi_open() failed
>
> And according to the libftdi1 sources, -4 is the very insightful
> “unable to open device” error… and poking at the source this simply
> means that libusb_open on the device as found by VID/PID returned
> a negative number.
>
> So the question is… why? And how do I figure that out with my utter
> lack of Windows knowledge…

Ahh... now I remember that Lubomir had pointed this out to me before.
Apparently this requires the Zadig USB driver. A lot more info is here:
http://embedded-funk.net/running-libftdi-under-windows/ <http://embedded-funk.net/running-libftdi-under-windows/>
I'll play with this a bit more on my Windows system :-)