Subsurface and smtk2ssrf Windows builds

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 9 14:42:50 PDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 10:19:58PM +0200, Salvador Cuñat wrote:
> Hi Dirk.
>
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 08:01:32AM -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> >
> > Salvador, everyone
> >
> > I have switched the Windows test / build on Travis to a different model where I provide a docker image that has MXE pre-installed and that makes it easier to test things locally when encountering errors on Travis: simply run that same Docker image on your local machine.
> >
> > The goal was to make sure that this is as easy as
> >
> > sudo bash ./scripts/windows-container/before_install.sh
> > sudo bash ./scripts/windows-container/travisbuild.sh
> >
> Why run sudoed? I'm running them as user and before_install.sh works
> simply well.

Because on my system docker can only be run as root.

> BTW, the build script is failing, for me, to build grantlee,
> googlemaps and subsurface itself; but doesn't seem sudo related.

I'd love to see the errors. This works locally for me and on Travis - and
one of the key attractions in this design was that because it's all inside
the container it should behave the same for everyone. So I wonder what's
going wrong.

> > Right now I kept the old Windows environment on Travis as that is used to build smtk2ssrf - but I think it should be reasonably easy to integrate this with the container based solution that I have. Salvador, why does this have to be a static MXE build instead of a shared one? That duplicates a LOT of things and would make the MXE container significantly bigger...
> >
> Yes, it is easy to integrate; before_install.sh requires little
> changes and travisbuild.sh just a parameter in the command line.
> What seems impossible ATM is get a shared MXE build. The package is
> listed only static in the build matrix in the mxe site. I'm going to
> try going back in the mdbtools git tree but I don't have good
> expectations.

I had EXCELLENT success going to github.com/mxe/mxe and open issues.
People there tend to be quite responsive. Sometimes the answer is "doesn't
work because BLA", but a couple of times already I got them to upgrade
things or change configurations...

> I've built a tarball without mdbtools (68.7 Mb), but couldn't try it
> yet because of the other failures.

Thanks for working on this!