Support for Gamrin Descent MK1

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Sep 1 12:58:32 PDT 2018

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 12:13 PM Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> I'd be very interested in feedback how this works out for you.

NOTE! If somebody finds oddities, parse errors, has some case that
doesn't work at all, etc, please do send me and the list

 - a description of what the expected result is (ie "the Garmin app
says the max depth was 76 ft)

 - a description of what subsurface did wrong (ie "subsurface reports
that dive as a 401 mile depth dive")

 - the "Activity" file that matches the dive that got mis-parsed. Or
just all your activity files from the dive computer, and I'll figure
it out.

but as Dirk says, the current downloader is known to be incomplete wrt
event information and has that oddity of "all activities are recorded
as dives".

If you *do* have some event you care deeply about, and that you
actually know is there in the dive file, you can also send me that
kind of "this thing XYZ is important to me" information. It's likely
really easy to add certain event parsing, I just got fed up at looking
at FIT files, and my motivation to look at them was pretty low. BNut
if you point out particular events and have an example FIT file for
them, I'll be motivated to add at least those ones.

In a couple of weeks, I should have dive data of my own, and I'll
probably finish this off then.

And yes, while the downloader works, if you use your Garmin for other
things too, you will see silly 0-minute dives etc without a real
profile for things that are supposed to be
running/walking/cycling/whatever activities when you download.

For now, just uncheck them from the dive download list. They'll
usually stand out as being zero minutes long and having a zero depth
(although with swimming, I think you'll actually get a really boring
"dive" profile).

             Linus