auto creating a log file on Windows

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 08:49:06 PDT 2018

On 3 September 2018 at 18:31, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

>> On Sep 3, 2018, at 8:26 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3 September 2018 at 18:12, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>> Lubomir,
>>>
>>> In commit 0c74f7a2c8 you added a feature to automatically create a log file
>>> on Windows when started from a shortcut. I was just going to ask a user to
>>> send me that log file but realized that I didn't know where it was in the
>>> file
>>> system. So I tried this and I cannot find it...
>>>
>>> Can you help?
>>>

>> the log files should be written in the folder where subsurface.exe is.
>> we install Subsurface in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Subsurface" by
>> default and the log files are created there for me on each run.
>
> I tried that. Hmm. Nope, not there.

do you happen to have installed subsurface with an administrator
account, but run it as a regular user?
if this is a permission issue, it can be verified if you try to just
create a TXT file in the subsurface.exe folder with the regular user
and see if it works.

a possible fix for that would be to always write in the user folder,
although i think the problem here is something else.

is antivirus software running?
i've seen AVs blocking the creation of log files before.

lubomir