Fwd: Re: Opening dive log in android version

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Sep 4 04:31:22 PDT 2018

On 04/09/2018 07:45, Markley LeLeigh wrote:
> Appreciate the reasoning, but still seems like a very basic missing
> functionality. Not everyone wants their un-encrypted data in the
> cloud. The play store description you quoted pretty clearly states
> that it will work without cloud (which isn't true unless you ONLY want
> your precious log on that one single [easily lost/broken/damaged]
> device). Even 8.1 of the manual doesn't make it clear that that basic
> function is missing but really should do.
Markley, what would you like in the user manual? I do not quite get your
point. Please explain.

If you store your data as a git repository in a local directory, you
will see it is much smaller than the XML text version. This is because
git compresses the data, as it presumably does in the cloud. In
addition, the compressed data can only be accessed using git because of
the fragmented nature of the sequential updates to the dive log. I
cannot see that the git repository in the cloud could be accessible with
any normal text viewer. Try and access a private git repository with a
text editor: you will see what I mean. I backup my dive log to both
Subsurface cloud as well as Dropbox. The dropbox action for me is a
simple drag-and-drop of the file. No problem.

If you are doing military dives or dives for a company then you should
not be putting your dives in ANY public location anyway but back it up
offline.

Kind regards,
willem

Please refer to