Shutting down the GPS web service (and removing it from Subsurface apps)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Sep 8 08:46:34 PDT 2018

Clearly this isn't something we'll do overnight. But I think it's something we should plan to phase out over the next few months.

- the companion apps are gone from the mobile stores, the mobile apps have replaced them
- uploading to the webservice from the mobile app is kinda weird, much easier to just apply the fixes on device
- our handling of the webservice ID is inconsistent, poorly designed, and even more poorly documented. See https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/issues/1648 <https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/issues/1648>
- still to this day people get confused with the GPS webservice and cloud storage. At least once a month people send me password reset requests and attach the webservice ID

So, here's what I'd like to do:

- remove support for downloading / applying GPS fixes from the webservice in 4.8.2
- remove support for uploading to the webservice in future mobile apps
- announce that we're shutting this down
- at the end of this year, turn off the server and archive the data

Comments, thoughts, suggestions?