xml file specification documentation?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Sep 9 12:46:05 PDT 2018

Hi Max

> On Sep 9, 2018, at 10:34 AM, Maximilian Balandat <balandat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm thinking of writing a converter from ANT+/Garmin .fit activity files to the subsurface native .xml format. This would allow importing dives done with the Garmin Descent MKI (great device, btw.) and uploaded to Garmin Connect.

The current development version allows importing directly from the Descent Mk1 (when plugged in via USB). This will also be in the upcoming Subsurface 4.8.2
We are looking into the possibility of downloading from the Descent via BLE (which would work on Android and iOS as well), but that's not possible, yet.
But what we have seems a lot easier than what you are proposing - which, oh btw, another user had already implemented a few weeks ago and posted about.

> Where can I find documentation on the specification/schema of the subsurface xml format? Or would it make more sense to write the converter for another format, say uddf, and go from there?

That, too, somebody has done. There are a TON of FIT to something converters out there. But regardless, I think the direct import that we can do now is much more convenient.