Shutting down the GPS web service (and removing it from Subsurface apps)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Sep 9 18:30:28 PDT 2018

> On Sep 8, 2018, at 10:31 AM, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8 Sep 2018, at 19.53, Jan Mulder <jlmulder at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/8/18 5:46 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>> Clearly this isn't something we'll do overnight. But I think it's something we should plan to phase out over the next few months.
>>> - the companion apps are gone from the mobile stores, the mobile apps have replaced them
>>
>> Hmm. Just checked, and its still in the Google Play store, with remarks as legacy, not supported any more, replaced by, etc. Not sure about the Apple store.
>
> I didn’t see anything related on apple store when searching for subsurface, not even subsurface-mobile

Searching on the Apple Store is weird. If you search for Subsurface-mobile you'll find it, but searching for Subsurface you won't. Very odd.
I thought the companion app on Google Play was gone. I'll look into that in a moment. I know it's gone for iOS.

>>> - uploading to the webservice from the mobile app is kinda weird, much easier to just apply the fixes on device
>>> - our handling of the webservice ID is inconsistent, poorly designed, and even more poorly documented. See https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/issues/1648
>>> - still to this day people get confused with the GPS webservice and cloud storage. At least once a month people send me password reset requests and attach the webservice ID
>>> So, here's what I'd like to do:
>>> - remove support for downloading / applying GPS fixes from the webservice in 4.8.2
>>
>> 4.8.2 seems a bit quick (depending on what the planning will be, but my impression is very soon). Ok, just removing the menu item, and the UI in the preferences (the magic webservice user ID) is easy to do, but a clean and full removal from the backend is likely to be more complex. So, I assume you are talking here (for 4.8.2) about UI mainly, right?
>>
>>> - remove support for uploading to the webservice in future mobile apps
>>
>> Seems fine to me.
>
> sounds sensiböe to get rid of it all

No one disagreed, so I'm merging the corresponding pull request.