Shutting down the GPS web service (and removing it from Subsurface apps)

JB2Cool jb2cool at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 04:59:22 PDT 2018

I could be that type of user and i already use a workaround.

I don't use cloud storage but I do use the Subsurface companion app but not
in the way you'd expect. I use the companion app to either take 'one time'
GPS fixes if I have easy access to my phone when we are on site or to log
it automatically if I'm not likely to be able to access my phone but I
don't actually use the webservice to transfer the data. I simply log the
data to the phone and then I screenshot the entry and manually key it into
Subsurface when I'm logging the dive
.
This works for me and has done for the last few years. I can then use this
when I'm 'off the grid' in remote places. It also enables me to use my old
sacrificial (broken) iPhone that I'm not all that bothered about rather
than my newer one that I would care if got wet/lost. I have no SIM card in
the old phone and it still does what I want.

JB