Contributing dive computer alert data

Joel Ekström joel at ekstrom.io
Tue Sep 11 07:41:38 PDT 2018

Hey everyone! Just discovered Subsurface and I really like the software.
I decided to try to make a contribution, and a seemingly simple one was
to add some info for missing alerts for my dive computer.
This took me to the file 'import-suunto.c' where the names of alerts are
converted from numbers into the text shown in Subsurface.
Adding the missing ones is a simple matter. However, it won't show up
retroactively in existing logs, since this data is created during import
(I assume).
How would one go about fixing this retroactively? Storing the alert as a
string directly in the database files seems like an odd decision to me
(although I'm sure there are good reasons for this). Instead I would've
assumed that there would be some kind of lookup table for alerts that is
queried as the UI is drawn.
I'd appreciate some advice and discussion about this (preferably about
how I'm approaching this from a totally wrong angle).
Thanks!