Fwd: Text on ffmpeg

Berthold Stoeger bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Sep 12 05:41:40 PDT 2018

Hi Willem,

On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 13:49:28 CEST Willem Ferguson wrote:
> On 12/09/2018 12:44, Willem Ferguson wrote:
>
> The date/time that is used to insert the video: are there any Exif or
> equivalent data in the file from which this is obtained, or does it use
> the file system date/time? My video viewer does not produce any
> date/time incoded in the ,mp4 itself.

Yes, we try to extract meta-data from the mp4. If that doesn't work, we take
the timestamp from the file. To my knowledge, AVI has no standard way of
recording the timestamp as metadata.

If you have videos where we don't properly extract the date, it would be great
if I could have a look at them to improve our routines.

> Second question. I have several .MOV files in the same directory as the
> .mp4 file that I work with. When, in Subsurface, I select "Attach images
> from file" and I point it to the right directory, and select "Video
> files" it only sees the .mp4 file, NOT the .MOV files.

That's strange. I also have a directory with .MOV and .mp4 files and both are
shown. The list is in core/qthelper.cpp (videoExtensionList). The only thing
that I note is that it is not sorted alphabetically, but that shouldn't
matter..?

> Thirdly, it is a rudimentary issue to update the dive list context menu
> entry to read "Load Images from file" to "Load media from file". The
> same should probably happen to the menu entry immediately underneath
> "Load images from web". Should I do that?

Sure, if you have time, go ahead. :)

Berthold