Subsurface mobile 2.1.3(4.8.2.5) Pelagic data cable issues

Bill Perry bperrybap at opensource.billsworld.billandterrie.com
Thu Sep 20 17:04:14 PDT 2018

Here is the latest.
I have built apps from tags v4.8.1 and v4.8.2
They behave differently when the data cable is inserted on my S4 (Android 4.4.4)
with v4.8.1 and older apps (prior to 2.1.3(4.2.5) from the Playstore, Android would pop up a dialog asking the user to "Choose an app for the USB device"
On my devices Subsurface is in the list of apps - along with DiveMate and an OBD2 app.

With v4.8.2 I built, and the 2.1.3(4.8.2.5) from the play store this pop dialog does not happen on the S4 (android 4.4.4).
But with 2.1.3(4.8.2.5) from the playstore on my S7 running Android 8.0.0 the dialog does happen.

I have also noticed that if you do not go through the Android USB/app dialog to start the app, the app cannot talk to the FTDI serial port.
i.e. if you cancel out of the dialog and start the app manually, or start the app before you plug in the data cable and cancel the dialog when the cable is plugged in
the app can't talk to the FTDI data cable.
So going through the dialog and letting it start the app seems to be important to grant access to the USB device.
This is true on both the S7 and the S4 with any/all versions of the app.

I'm beginning to think that this USB issue is related to the USB device dialog not starting up anymore on the S4 when the data cable is plugged in.

I am clueless about android and how it works but I did notice that it looked like there were some changes with respect to device intents
in the code between the v4.8.1 tag and the v4.8.2 tag - the addition of SubsurfaceMobileActivity.java
There was also a change to get rid of the decimal VID/PID values to get back to using hex in device_filter.xml

Is it possible that some of these updates have issues on Android 4.4.4 on the S4
which prevents the USB device app dialog from starting when the cable is plugged in?

--- bill