Silly problem with dive sites and GPS downloading

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Sep 24 06:11:54 PDT 2018

On 09/22/2018 04:07 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> PS. We have another pending problem with the dive site situaiton: the
>> Garmin Descent Mk1 gives us both entry and exit coordinates, and having
>> done four drift dives with it, I actually really *would* like to have our
>> mapping to show it as not a flag, but as a line between two points. But
>> right now we only associate a single GPS coordinate with the dive, and
>> because the Garmin reliably gives an exit coordinate but not an entry one
>> (if you jump into the water before it gets a GPS fix), the downloader will
>> just use the single exit point for the automatic dive site.
>>
>> But that pending problem is an enhancement, not a bug.
>
> Yes, and we already had people who said that they want us to associate a
> path with the dive. And my answer to this continues to be that the visualization
> is a pain and that I am not convinced that the accuracy of these GPS coordinates
> is nowhere near good enough to make all this worth it.

The visualization of a path would certainly be a pain, but having start
and end coordinates for a dive would certainly be neat - and for folks
without an Mk1 who are using the gps logger, we can grab an ending GPS
coordinate with time matching just as easily as we can grab a beginning one.

Maybe at least collect the start/end GPS so we have them in the data,
and maybe later someone will good idea for visualization?