Silly problem with dive sites and GPS downloading

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Sep 24 09:04:18 PDT 2018

So Linus said some interesting things about this topic - and others
have added in the past. I'd like to try and connect some of the dots
here - please correct me if I get things wrong...

(a) a dive site, as an independent entity from a dive, does have a
logical GPS location. One can argue where that is and in many ways
that's a matter of taste and opinion (e.g., is it where you enter the water,
or is it where the "interesting" part of the dive happens), but in general
a dive site has just one coordinate.

(b) a dive itself can be described in multiple ways.
(1) Simply by the coordinates of the site.
(2) by the entry and exit point.
(3) by the path that the diver actually took (turning the whole dive profile
into a 3D path).

Today we do (b)(1).
It seems that at least with the Garmin we could relatively easily (assuming
the diver does turn on dive mode early enough to get a GPS fix before
being under water) do (b)(2)
I don't think there is equipment that is widely available to do (b)(3)

Typically when it's hard to foresee how things will get abstracted out
int the future, I tend to suggest using text fields / strings. Right now we
store all available GPS information on the Garmin as strings. Maybe
we should allow people to do this for other dive computers as well,
assuming they have a source for the strings (and we can of course use
the GPS info from a phone). Which means we'd need a way to do this
dive computer independently.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this.

/D