[TEST REQUEST] Windows Bluetooth LE build

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Sep 29 13:38:41 PDT 2018

> On Sep 29, 2018, at 1:24 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In the meantime, I completed a compile of Qt 5.11.2 from source, added
>> your wip/win qtconnectivity and did a make install to make sure that ALL
>> of the files are copied to the right place.
>>
>> I created an installer from that (which is missing FB, printing, user manual,
>> and apparently for some reason even the maps). You can find it on our website
>> as http://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/subsurface-4.8.2-92-gb05b8de05966.exe
>>

> do i need to test this installer, given it already worked with -91?

Well, the difference is that this is now all Qt 5.11 based, but you are right,
not much incremental value in you testing that...

> also TMK the -91 would have all the above modules that -92 is missing?
> why do we need to upgrade to 5.11.2?

We don't. I was hoping this would help with BLE, but it didn't.

>> I then purchased a new copy of Windows 10 (the things we do for our
>> hobbies) and installed it on the same laptop that I do my "on hardware"
>> Linux testing on.
>>
>> I paired the Teric with Windows (no problem there at all, found it right away).
>>
>> So now we have:
>> - different laptop
>> - different BT device (this is a USB dongle, other one was built in)
>> - different Windows 10 install
>> - NO anti virus, anything
>>
>> Still the exact same experience in Subsurface
>> Regardless if I select Auto or Force LE, I get the Device discovery error.
>> And I get it fairly quickly.
>>
>> If I put my BT-classic-only Petrel in BT mode, it gets detected within a
>> second or two, and I can immediately download from it (without having
>> to do any pairing first).
>>
>> So BT works, but somehow the BLE scan results in an error.
>>

> we might have a lurking bug in our discovery code.
> i need to have a detailed look at it.

I think so.

>> You know the code much better than I do... in the scan path, what can
>> create such an error? One thing that is odd about my office is that I can
>> see more than a dozen BLE devices here on a regular scan. I wonder
>> if one of the unpaired ones is causing this behavior. But give then need
>> to pair first for BLE, that does seem unlikely, doesn't it?
>
> as mentioned multiple times the Windows discovery and device
> enumeration is super shaky.
> i don't have other devices in my room and the detection works fine.
>
> please bring this problem device to Sofia.

I'm bringing you one of them :-)

>> Is there a way to get more debug info from the Qt BLE code to see WHY
>> it created that error?
>>

> if QtConnectivity is built in debug mode and if you can try moving
> this from qt-ble.cpp
> QLoggingCategory::setFilterRules(QStringLiteral("qt.bluetooth* = true"));
>
> to btdiscovery.cpp, it might output are better detailed message.

I'll play with that.

> i only got the error if i completely disabled BT from control planel.
> hard to say, will have another look.
>
>> My plan for 4.8.3 is to switch back to my previous MXE setup so we have
>> working Windows binaries with all components (but not BLE). But I really
>> want to push on this BLE story. It feels like we are SO CLOSE.
>>

> given it works for me and Steven, it really feels like an isolated error.
> is there are change we can announce -91 for testing so that we can
> gather more feedback?
>
> it feels like my installer is not reaching out to people.

Let me try to add more debug output and then I'll create a new
installer for people to test with.

Thanks