Exporting dive sites as XML

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Apr 11 01:26:26 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 12:44:40PM -0700, Doug Junkins wrote:
> OK. I just submitted a pull request on the monster branch to add Option 1 below. I’ll work on a combination of options 2 and 3 once I have the dive site import working. At least there is something there to get started with so I can test the import function.

Thanks

> Regarding the import, I’m thinking about having a checkbox that allows you to ignore sites with X meters (to be defined in an input box) from an existing dive site, but I’m wondering if that should be a silent ignore, or should there be a log visible showing whether each site was imported or ignored. Or, alternatively, do I replicated the functionality to import dives from a dive computer where each site to be imported needs to be selected before executing the import?

This is a question to those most likely to use such a feature, right?
I don't think I'm part of that group - conceptually having silent ignores
is more likely to cause confusion...
In my dive log I have several cases where I have the same dive site, same
name, with slightly different GPS locations depending on the tide and
therefore the entry point for the dive... which goes back to an argument
that Linus made a while ago that this should be ONE dive site and that the
dive itself should mark its entry point...

What I'm trying to say is that what we decide to do here also has impact
on the overall design of how dive sites are treated in Subsurface.