dive sites, edit undo, and the major steps towards 4.9

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun Apr 14 08:19:37 PDT 2019

On 2019/04/14 16:03, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> On Apr 14, 2019, at 1:50 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>>
>> 1) The dive site panel makes huge strides towards a robust but flexible interface for working with dive sites. The current actions are:
>>
>> a) Edit a dive site
>>
>> b) Delete a dive site
>>
>> For those that have strong feelings about dive sites, one would like to have an option of:
>>
>> c) Create a dive site
> I can see the logic in that. I'd be unlikely to use this as that's not how I approach diving, but simply with the concept of dive sites as first class citizens in mind, this seems entirely reasonable.
> Before we go off and do that, let's see if there are people here who WOULD use that and what work flow they would like to use.
>
>> However, one that I am very likely to use is:
>>
>> d) Merge dive sites
>>
>> As was apparent in the discussions on this topic I also have many duplicate dive sites and they definitely need reorganisation.
>>
>> What is the sentiment and/or intentions about having these two additional actions on dive sites?
> As Berthold mentioned, this exists. And it's a hard to "discover" feature right now, so I think it can be improved.
> Instead of making this a right click option, why don't we make two relatively small changes
> (1) as the user clicks on one of those sites, show the corresponding flag in the map as well (if necessary, zoom out to include both the site being edited, and the one the user selected)
> (2) just like the edit and delete column in the main dive list are actually buttons that trigger an action, have a column with a "Merge" button
>
> I think that would make the UI much easier to discover.
>

> And, completely unrelated... Berthold - the row selection with the trash can not changing background color... that's an odd one :-)
>
> /D.

Two suggestions that I have for the Dive Sites tab.

1) When hitting the + at the top right to add a dive site (thank you,
Doug), open the dive site edit panel directly. In other words as if,
after clicking the +, one has also clicked the Edit icon of the new dive
that has been created.

2) When the dive sites close to a specific site have been selected, in
other words there are a small number of sites listed in the part of the
panel for 'Closeby sites', it would be really useful if the geographic
coordinates for each site are showed in a second column of the table of
closeby sites.

I support Dirk's suggestion of coordinating the closeby sites with the map.

Kind regars,

willem

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf