Extra Data tab in desktopversion (Willem Ferguson)

Hartley Horwitz hhrwtz at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 18:20:35 PDT 2019

> Bcc:
> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 09:36:23 +0200
> Subject: Extra Data tab in desktopversion
> This discussion continues the topic of including an editable atmospheric
> pressure textbox in the Notes Tab. The discussion then revolved around
> moving some of the data items to a different tab.
>
> I have five proposals.
>
> 1) Any extraneous information is moved to the existing Extra Info tab.
> For many (if not most) recreational dive computers this tab is not used.
> So, if any information is to be moved out of the Notes Tab an additional
> new tab is probably not warranted. However, this means that there would
> now be a third tab that contains editable data fields (apart from Notes
> and Equipment).

[HH]  I'm a recreational and as you've guessed, I don't use the Extra Info
tab.  I'd be ok to move the less used info to that tab.

> 2) If the above were true, the UI would be simplified if the tabs with
> editable data fields were grouped together. That would mean rearranging
> the tabs so that Extra Info is in the third position just after Equipment.

[HH] Rearranging the order of the tabs is a nice to have, not a must IMO.

> 3) I suggest that the two temperature text boxes are moved to the Extra
> Info tab. The water temperature is depicted in great detail on the dive
> profile, so no information is lost.

[HH] Agreed.

> 4) I expressed an opinion beforehand that any information that affects
> the deco ceiling should be immediately visible. One of these is the dive
> mode. When logging a dive, I often found that Subsurface defaults to a
> wrong dive mode. My Petrel does not provide the information, therefore
> this has to be set by hand using the Dive Mode dropdown box. No fault of
> Subsurface. Therefore my strong preference is for the Dive Mode dropdown
> box to be kept on the Notes tab and not moved to the Extra Info tab. If
> indeed, the Dive Mode dropdown box is moved to the Extra Info tab, I
> would expect (almost 'demand') a clear indication on the dive profile
> that shows the dive mode. (Maybe as part of the deco model info e.g.
> "VPM-B +3  (Open Circuit)" or "GF 40/75 (CCR)").

[HH] prior to reading this, I would have suggested moving the Dive Mode off
of the Notes tab, but you have a compelling point.

> 5) I propose that the Atmospheric pressure datum remains on the Notes
> tab and is not moved to the Extra Info tab. The reason is that, for
> inland dives, this is likely to be crucial information with respect to
> the deco ceiling. I regard this information as so important that, if
> this datum was indeed moved to the Extra Info tab, that it should also
> be indicated somewhere on the dive profile or on the Notes tab. I must
> confess that I am probably biased because I do many inland dives over
> 1000m. For me this would not make a difference because my dive computer
> records atmospheric pressure in calculating deco. But many other divers
> that dive these same sites do not have access to atmospheric pressure
> and without having done Dive-at-altitude training and I have seen what
> altitude can do to the deco ceiling. Therefore my emphasis on this matter.

[HH] as a percentage of users, I'm guessing those needing to adjust
pressure is very small. In that sense, I'd rather see that info moved to
Extra info.  If you want an indicator on the profile that would be ok, but
I guess that's harder to code?   In general, I think the UI should have the
least clutter for 80% of the users, and that's why I think the atmospheric
pressure and air temperature (and water temp) should be moved off the main
Notes tab.

> Opinions. please.
>
> willem

...Hartley