Typo in CNS calculation

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sat Aug 10 01:30:06 PDT 2019

On 2019/08/09 23:23, Robert Helling wrote:
> Willem,
>
> could you please have a look at the final computation in
> staticdoublecalculate_cns_dive(conststructdive*dive)
> in divelist.c
>
> It seems to me that the first minus in
>
> cns+=(double)t/((double)cns_table[j][SINGLE_EXP]-((double)po2i-(double)cns_table[j][PO2VAL])*(double)cns_table[j][SINGLE_SLOPE]/10.0)*100;
> should be plus (at least according to the formula in the comment above. At least, with this minus, you get negative CNS values for a planned air dive to 80m of depth.
> Best
> Robert

The reason for the negative value is because the dive plan involves pO2
values above 1.6bar (EAN38 at 35m=pO2 of 1.7bar). The NOAA tables do not
provide values above pO2 = 1.6.

I am working on a sensible solution because we need a sensible approach
for this use case.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to