CNS calculation headaches

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sat Aug 10 13:09:35 PDT 2019

On 2019/08/10 20:30, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Just looking at that graph, I'd be comfortable using the 4th-order
> approximation for the valid range (ie pO2 of 0.6-1.6, which is what we
> have data points for).
>
> I'd also think that the extensions _past_ that range look sane - BUT I
> think that if subsurface uses those extended areas, we should give a
> BIG BIG warning.
>
> Comments?
>
>                  Linus

Your plan could work because when pO2 < 0.5 no CNS calculation is made,
so the part of the inaccuracy below 0.5 is irrelevant with respect to
the algorithm for calculating CNS toxicity. However, the "bug report" we
had about negative values highlights one issue: If people plan or log
dives with pO2>1.6, how should one handle these badly-behaved data in
terms of CNS so that a value as realistic as possible is reflected?

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf