CNS calculation headaches - follow-up

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sat Aug 10 13:16:19 PDT 2019

On 2019/08/10 22:09, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> On 2019/08/10 20:30, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>>

>> Just looking at that graph, I'd be comfortable using the 4th-order
>> approximation for the valid range (ie pO2 of 0.6-1.6, which is what
>> we have data points for).
>>
>> I'd also think that the extensions _past_ that range look sane - BUT
>> I think that if subsurface uses those extended areas, we should give
>> a BIG BIG warning.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>>                  Linus
>>

> Your plan could work because when pO2 < 0.5 no CNS calculation is
> made, so the part of the inaccuracy below 0.5 is irrelevant with
> respect to the algorithm for calculating CNS toxicity. However, the
> "bug report" we had about negative values highlights one issue: If
> people plan or log dives with pO2>1.6, how should one handle these
> badly-behaved data in terms of CNS so that a value as realistic as
> possible is reflected?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> willem

Here is a part of the deco for a sea dive. Although most of the depths
are a tiny bit shallower than 6m, there are regular occurrences of pO2
1.7 and 1.75. Of course there are also many values lower than 1.6. But
as a diver I would like as realistic an assessment of CNS as possible.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf