RFC: Subsurface Statistics tab

♠ Jordan Reiser ♠ jordan.l.reiser at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 21:14:31 PST 2019

Hey guys,

Preview of what bryan and i have been working on. Finally had some time
after the holiday to put some thinking and ideas together. What you’ll see
is probably more of a future version due to the limitations of qt but we’re
working through it.

Check out the link below, the way i’m thinking about it is to make the
collection and organization of dives easier to input and manage at a glance
first- using space well so we only show what’s needed at the time the user
is focused on specific tasks, and then revamp how analytics are displayed
in a small space. Check it out, the prototype below doesn’t do the idea its
full justice but imagine it a scrolling experience (you’ll notice the
bubbles on the side)

https://marvelapp.com/80h8907/screen/64271256

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 11:51 AM Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2019, at 3:24 AM, Bryan Oliver <oliverwritescode at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Again, very open to better ideas. Our two main constraints so far have
> been "finding great design" and then "with the design ideas we have,
> finding how to implement them given the UI toolkits we have decided to
> use". Moving to different UI toolkits is a very, very, VERY tall hurdle. I
> can talk for hours about why (Bryan heard a really short version of that
> last week).
>
> So I went down another rabbit hole last night. I read through the
> documentation on QtWebview. It seems that, similar to Cordova, you actually
> get a full implementation of chromium from this class. So, theoretically,
> we can use any html5 UI kit and render it as a full screen app using this
> method.
>

> We build QtWebKit for desktop - so we can use that there. Neither Android
> nor iOS can use this option, though, because on iOS having your own
> "browser" is not allowed, and either way, the size of our apps (which are
> already huge in comparison to more "native" apps) would more than double...
> I'm sure there are other ways to do the same thing on iOS and Android if
> that's really the direction we want to go to. I'm not saying it isn't, btw.
> I am just reflecting on some of the things you and I discussed last week
> about maintainability and dependencies.
>
> As for access to calling c++ functions from that UI kit (because you’re in
> an html5 webview):
>
> https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebchannel-index.html
>
> This allows for async message passing between a js framework and qt
> functions. More testing is needed on the performance end. Something I'll
> probably play with this week given the thanksgiving break in the states.
>

> Yes. Our house is already smelling of thanksgiving as my wife has been
> cooking up a storm :-)
>
> /D
>
> --
Jordan Reiser