a few comments

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Dec 23 11:15:33 PST 2019

Hi Everyone,

Many may have noticed that I have been behind on many of my maintainer tasks over the past couple of months.
I am happy to say that I am gainfully employed (which is what allows me to work on Subsurface without thinking much about the money that I spend here). Usually that day job leaves me enough time to spend on my hobby (and if it doesn't, usually insomnia kicks in and I have "time" during the night). But work and work related travel have been WAY up in the second half of this year and I am feeling the consequences... there are more PRs pending than normal, I have once again not been able to make a "regular" release of the desktop app (at least I managed to update the mobile apps). Some others are doing a great job responding to support issues, etc, but a lot of this stuff still goes straight through me. During a recent long trans-Pacific flight I found the time to write a backend to deal with cloud storage passwords - so at least that's one less thing for me to worry about (once that is documented / better automated so there's a link in new releases of both desktop and mobile apps).

I know that I need to fix more things on the website. I'm sure there are tons of other things that I should be doing. And as I go through that list, here's one thing that's very very low priority, but that I figured is easy enough to at least kick off with an email:

I have noticed that we are getting more and more camelCase filenames in our tree. Sometimes that's required by some outside constraint (AndroidManifest.xml), sometimes it's a very widely used convention (CMakeLists.txt). But in many cases this is starting to feel like just habit of some of our contributors.
As a general rule I think I'd prefer that we kept things all-lower-case unless there's a strong reason not to. It's obviously not something I can police (with several hundred such files having made their way into the tree), but as I started looking again at some stats, I noticed that this is something I maybe have never explicitly mentioned, so here we are.

Thanks everyone for listening.

Happy Year End Holiday!