dive site handling

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Feb 22 12:37:18 PST 2019

> On Feb 22, 2019, at 11:29 AM, Doug Junkins <douglas.junkins at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey Dirk,

> One Subsurface question for you. I looked and saw that there have been requests to be able to access an online list of dive sites so you don’t have to recreate a dive site (with GPS coordinates) for multiple divers that were together. This would have been handy for us since all three of us are logging our dives in Subsurface. Is there ongoing work to develop the ability to pick a site from an online database? Is that something I can help develop?

This has indeed been discussed several times but never went anywhere. We went through a few painful iterations in the dive site handling and ended up on a compromise that few of us really love, many of us actually actively dislike and that we really want to get to a better state.
But that requires a few developers to devote a substantial amount of time to come up with a well thought through design that solves the actual problems - and then with the consistency to implement and document all this.

I don't think this is rocket science, but I think there are a lot of raw nerves among some of the long term contributors. If you wanted to help push us in that direction and pull in some of the people who have shown strong interest and strong opinions on this topic, that would be outstanding.

I copied this email back onto the mailing list since by pure coincidence earlier today Berthold mentioned that this was something that he was planning to tackle at some point. And I know that Henrik still reads this mailing list (while currently using a different divelog specifically because he finds Subsurface's dive site handling so inferior). I guess it shouldn't be too hard to get a healthy discussion going.

In that thread I pushed back hard on Henrik's idea for reasons that I'm sure I felt strongly about back then (I am not subtle...). Reading this again nearly three years later... I don't think I called that one correctly. So ignore my push back and let's start with Henrik's design idea.

Once we have something like this that truly treats dive locations as an independent item, hooking an online service into that dive site creation screen shouldn't be all that hard, either.

So...

Knowing that this is a touchy subject... can those who care about our dive location handling (a few of them were added to the 'To:' field of this email, but of course this is an invitation to EVERYONE to contribute) please give it another try and help us come up with something that makes more people happy?

Thanks

/D

Oh, and since the archive is so bad, here's a cut'n'paste of Henrik's old email

Here's a proposal to simplify the dive site UI:

When editing a dive:

1) Disable inline editing of dive site name.  This avoids confusion around "rename dive site" vs "choose existing dive site with a different name"

2) Instead add  "Edit..." and "Choose..." buttons next to the dive site name.  (See edit-dive.png)

3) "Edit..." takes you to "Edit dive site". (Rename, edit coordinates etc) (See edit-dive-site.png)

4) "Choose..." takes you to "Choose dive site", with a "Search" field and a "Create new site" button. (See choose-dive-site.png)

5) "Create new site" takes you to "Create dive site" (similar to "Edit dive site").  (See create-dive-site.png)

When creating a new dive:

6) The inline dive site edit should be disabled here as well, but add a "Create..." and "Choose..." button next to it.  (See new-dive.png)

This should be fairly straight forward to implement in both the desktop and mobile UIs, since there is no magic and complex logic going on.

Cheers,
Henrik