dive site handling

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sat Feb 23 01:21:19 PST 2019

On 2019/02/22 22:37, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

>> On Feb 22, 2019, at 11:29 AM, Doug Junkins <douglas.junkins at gmail.com
>> <mailto:douglas.junkins at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Dirk,
>
>> One Subsurface question for you. I looked and saw that there have
>> been requests to be able to access an online list of dive sites so
>> you don’t have to recreate a dive site (with GPS coordinates) for
>> multiple divers that were together. This would have been handy for us
>> since all three of us are logging our dives in Subsurface. Is there
>> ongoing work to develop the ability to pick a site from an online
>> database? Is that something I can help develop?

There are some important things with respect to dive sites. Maybe some
of this is perfectly evident to most of you, so I may be wasting my breath.

1) I have never been convinced that writing the dive locations into the
dive log XML is the best solution. The dive sites are currently managed
in a totally separate subsystem of functions, compared to actual dive
management. There is probably no reason to keep the dive site info
within the dive log. One of the downsides of the current handling is
that redundant dive sites often remain in the database.

2) One should be able to do dive site management when there is no
Internet access. This means that Subsurface should have a local copy of
all dive sites used in the dive log on that computer. I think the
current way of using hashes of dive sites in the local XML divelog is
pretty efficient.The retrieval of dive sites from an Internet-based
source would also need to be reasonably fast.

3) If there is a local database of dive sites on my computer, does this
get backed up on the cloud in the same way as the dive log? What would
the recovery options be if I lost my local dive site data?

3) I have on occasion used Internet-based information about dive sites,
but these databases never included my dive sites and therefore has not
been very useful. This may be because I prefer to have the coordinates
of the actual dive site within the broader reef, accurate to maybe 50m.
I mostly get coordinates by taking a GPS in a sealed container and which
logs coordinates every 2 minutes from which it is rudimentary to recover
the appropriate coordinates.

4) There is also the possibility of showing dive site coordinates and
other textual descriptive details for that site when clicking on the
Subsurface map.

I would love to hear the opinion of divers (such as Henrik) who use dive
site databases more extensively.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to