dive site handling

Henrik B A henrik at synth.no
Sun Feb 24 03:48:28 PST 2019

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 10:21 AM Willem Ferguson <
willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> 1) I have never been convinced that writing the dive locations into the
> dive log XML is the best solution.

I disagree.  The  XML is an excellent location for the dive sites, it makes
sharing and handling the log so much easier.

> 2) One should be able to do dive site management when there is no Internet
> access.

Solved by having it all in the same XML file.

> 3) If there is a local database of dive sites on my computer, does this
> get backed up on the cloud in the same way as the dive log? What would the
> recovery options be if I lost my local dive site data?

If the dive sites live together with your dives, there is no problem.

> 3) I have on occasion used Internet-based information about dive sites,
> but these databases never included my dive sites and therefore has not been
> very useful.

Once in a while I've been able to find info about certain dive spots that
have been interesting when planning new dives, but I haven't felt the need
to connect this to Subsurface (or in my case, MacDive).  I have just copied
the relevant info (gps, how to get there etc) over to MacDive.

> I would love to hear the opinion of divers (such as Henrik) who use dive
> site databases more extensively.

I don't, so I haven't got much to tell, I'm afraid :)

Henrik