dive site handling

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Feb 24 11:40:28 PST 2019

> On Feb 24, 2019, at 3:51 AM, Henrik B A <henrik at synth.no> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 6:31 PM Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org <mailto:dirk at hohndel.org>> wrote:
> Unreferenced dive sites should not be stored when saving data. But the user can of course create multiple, redundant dive sites when doing multiple dives at the same site.
>
> Hm, I believe we should be able to have unreferenced dive sites in our database. E.g. for planning purposes.

Would those be referenced by planned dives? Or do you really mean "unreferenced", i.e. you create a dive site, save the dive file and quit the app, and then later add a dive at that site?
Just making sure I understand the model you are proposing.
The issue with not pruning unreferenced dive sites is that over time you might accrue a lot of garbage in your dive file. E.g., whenever you dive with a Garmin Descent or similar dive computer (there are none right now) that store GPS data, that creates a new dive site. Typically I then switch to the existing one if I have been at this site before, which creates an unreferenced site. Having all of those accumulate over time might be annoying.