dive site handling

Berthold Stoeger bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Feb 24 14:33:05 PST 2019

On Sunday, 24 February 2019 23:11:36 CET Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > On Feb 24, 2019, at 12:20 PM, Berthold Stoeger
> > <bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:>
> > To me it seems somewhat questionable to create a new dive site for every
> > new GPS location anyway. Perhaps detach these two things?
>
> The problem is how else would we do this?
> From a workflow perspective... I have a GPS dive computer. I download from
> it. It provides me with GPS information. So after the download I should
> have an un-named dive site with the correct GPS information, shouldn't I?
> What would be a better workflow?

My intuition would be to save the GPS information with the dive and use that
to suggest sensible dive-sites when doing the dive site association. Little is
gained by automatically generating a new dive site for every dive, if it has
to be consolidated afterwards anyway.

An "autogen" flag as you suggested might also be viable.

I wonder if GPS entry & exit should be optional dive fields that are
independent of the dive site. After all, you might dive the same site from
different entry points, no?

Of course, this all needs some tuning concerning the map, etc.

Berthold