dive site handling

Hartley Horwitz hhrwtz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 07:39:23 PST 2019

> Bcc:
> Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 11:40:28 -0800
> Subject: Re: dive site handling
>
> The issue with not pruning unreferenced dive sites is that over time you
> might accrue a lot of garbage in your dive file. E.g., whenever you dive
> with a Garmin Descent or similar dive computer (there are none right now)
> that store GPS data, that creates a new dive site. Typically I then switch
> to the existing one if I have been at this site before, which creates an
> unreferenced site. Having all of those accumulate over time might be
> annoying.

I agree that having a new feature which prunes unreferenced dive sites is a
good idea.  I have a bunch of these in my log.    If I was to scout a
potential dive site using the planner, then I would refrain from using the
'prune dive site' feature and only do so occasionally.  When I'm on a dive
trip, I enter in the name of a dive site, sometimes misspelling it until I
get a chance to find out the proper name & location, particularly when
diving in non-English countries.  This gives me duplicate entries for
effectively the same dive site.

> Sorry again. I find 'country' useful. The further down you go with
> taxonomy, the trickier it gets. But I'm certainly willing to reopen that
> conversation as well.

I too find the country useful.   Some of the other fields in the taxonomy
are less useful - it depends on the country/dive site, but I'm sure others
like that information.

...Hartley