dive site handling

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Feb 25 13:53:17 PST 2019

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 12:49 PM Berthold Stoeger
<bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

> On Montag, 25. Februar 2019 00:19:00 CET Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
> > A dive is associated with a site, but can also be associated with any number
> > of GPS locations. Maybe start and end. Or even a path.
>
> A path is interesting - does that mean that GPS works under water?

No. GPS signals are blocked by a couple of cm of water.

There _have_ been noises about people doing gps buoys, but honestly,
that sounds a bit theoretical.

In practice, I suspect the only way you'd have a path is from manual
entry of a couple of points in between the entry/exit points.

Which *could* be realistic, if we just had a good UI for it, but that
would be a much longer-term plan. I've got a few drift dives with GPS
start/end locations, and one of them in particular I'd actually fill
in path for (because if you don't, the line from beginning to end
looks like you just walked overland ;)

For now, it would be lovely to just show the "extradata" GPS locations
we do have if you end up having a dive computer that supports it
(which right now means "Garmin Descent Mk1" - right now nobody else
does the whole entry/exit GPS thing)

                   Linus