dive site handling

Pedro Neves nevesdiver at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 01:18:31 PST 2019

On 25/02/19 21:53, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 12:49 PM Berthold Stoeger
> <bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
>> A path is interesting - does that mean that GPS works under water?
> No. GPS signals are blocked by a couple of cm of water.
>
> There _have_ been noises about people doing gps buoys, but honestly,
> that sounds a bit theoretical.
>
> In practice, I suspect the only way you'd have a path is from manual
> entry of a couple of points in between the entry/exit points.

I guess there's always a Subsurface user for every conceivable case ;-)

I do, on several occasions, record our GPS track for some of our dives,
particularly when doing habitat mapping. What we do is tow a surface
marker buoy on which a GPS receiver/logger is placed. Despite the angle
of the cable that connects the SMB to the scooter/diver, this works
really well for depths down to 25/30 m...

We then use the GPS tracks to georeference pictures, videos and other
observations. So yes, I'm up for assigning a GPS track to the dives...

Cheers:

Pedro