Planner: Bailout dive planning

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Jan 15 00:53:56 PST 2019

On 2019/01/15 10:26, Robert Helling wrote:

> thank you for this suggestion. Just let me make sure, I understand it properly: The procedure you envision is that in PSCR mode (note that the planner does not do gas switches in CCR mode), the planner performs gas switches based on the depth recorded in the gas tables. But, in some way, each cylinder has a dive mode associated to it and when switching to that cylinder, the dive mode is changed accordingly?
>
> Best
> Robert

At the risk of being longwinded let me give an example. A normoxic SCR
dive with EAN50 and oxygen as deco gases. Many SCR divers would start
the dive with EAN50 in OC then switch to closed circuit around 20m depth
(I personally would start with EAN50 in SCR mode, but GUE for instance
require starting on OC). HOWEVER this use of OC does not affect the
decompression algorithm and would need to be entered as OC descending
dive segment(s) in the dive points table before the bottom phase of the
dive is reached.

The bottom phase of the dive is performed on the loop.

During ascent, at some stage, it could be advantageous to do a planned
bailout. Typically this might occur at the switchover from trimix to
EAN50 at 20m, implying that, from that point on, deco calculations
should be performed using OC parameters.

So I think your understanding as explained above is correct. BUT I would
like your recent implementation of activating the check box for a
bailout ascent NOT to be affected in any way by the rest of our
discussion, above.

As far as CCR is concerned, change to external OC cylinders can be
performed using the existing bailout planning facility, so no action is
probably needed with respect to CCR dives.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to
http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf