Facebook integration - I'm considering to completely remove this feature

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:37:21 PST 2019

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 at 08:04, Martin de Weger <martin at reef-it.nl> wrote:

> From my resonar point of view, this is a feature I never use. If it is a
> PITA to maintain, it might be an idea to remove is. But again, this is just
> my 2 cents.
>
> Martin de Weger
>
> > Op 31 jan. 2019 om 21:58 heeft Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> het
> volgende geschreven:
> >
> > So Facebook just triggered a review of our Facebook integration (because
> the best
> > way to deal with the fact that you are selling out the privacy of your
> users is to... never
> > mind... I'm sure this makes sense).
> >
> > Our app failed every step of their review, likely because they have no
> bleeping idea
> > what the app does as it doesn't match what people usually do with apps?
> not sure.
> > But the results that they sent to me make no sense whatsoever.
> >
> > I will follow up with them because this whole thing bugs me, but
> fundamentally I don't
> > think this is worth it and instead I'm considering to simply remove this
> feature from
> > Subsurface 4.9.
> >
> > Comments, concerns?

Personally I think I've used this feature three times, and two of those
times my motivation was to test it worked when it was introduced, then
prior to another Subsurface release.  I've noticed only one of my Facebook
friends post from Subsurface, and he is a Subsurface developer and likely
testing the feature worked.  But I have no idea how much it is used beyond
people on this mailing list.  Dirk, do you have any statistics on its use?
If it is hardly ever used, I doubt anybody would miss it terribly.

For someone wanting to share their dive profile on Facebook, or any other
platform, uploading a screenshot is always an option.  But to screenshot of
part of a window is a bit clumbsy.  Is it much effort to introduce an
'export profile to jpg/png' option?  That would not break each time
Facebook changes something and would allow people to share their profile on
Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/whatever and even make it easy to attach to an
email (useful for sharing a deco plan when organizing a dive).

Rick