road to 4.9

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Jul 17 14:20:29 PDT 2019

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 9:53 PM Steve <stevewilliams at internode.on.net> wrote:

> Applied the patach and got: Unknown cylinder use string 'Freedive'

Ok, that should never be valid, and shouldn't be a possible value. It
does sound like there's been corruption at some point, although I
can't see how _that_ kind of corruption ever happened.

I suspect it might have happened some time ago - the git save format
has an optimization where it never needs to save dives that haven't
changed, so the problem then only happened when you tried to export as
xml, because otherwise an old dive would just "stick around"
unmodified for a while.

I'll ignore this for now unless something makes me go "Ahhh.." or it
happens again.

             Linus