RFC: Re-organising the Information tab in Subsurface

Dean Murray deanmurray1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 01:37:55 PDT 2019

As for the layout, is there some way it could be user defined. Ie
parameterised and then the user decides what goes where. Either some config
file, or UI to select. This way we can define the most common layout, but
advanced users can customise

Regarding the colour coding of the text I somehow really like the idea even
though I never found it to be confusing. It makes me think of this
technique that the accountants use to structure their spreadsheets

https://www.wallstreetprep.com/knowledge/financial-modeling-best-practices-and-conventions/#Formatting

They for example use blue text for values that are to be entered by the
user, black is a calculated value, green is a value coming from another
sheet/tab etc.

This could be nice in the world of subsurface where we have numbers that
are

* manually entered by user
* given to us from the dive computer
* calculated by subsurface.

It could provide clarity, but then again maybe its just confusing for most
users. It would take a lot of work to be consistent in this across the
whole program. Also some fields may be the data can come from the computer
(which might for example show in green) and same field could be overwritten
by user to hardcode some other number and you would need to keep track of
this and change it to blue.

I guess it is a massive tangent to the original request, but something
that  came to mind and maybe provide some inspiration.

Regards
Dean