Dives disappeared from log after syncing to cloud

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun Jun 16 12:02:02 PDT 2019

On 2019/06/16 19:32, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> On Jun 16, 2019, at 6:01 AM, Doug <doug.holman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> iPhoneX on iOS 12.3.1 with subsurface 2.1.6(4.8.4.66)
>> iPad on iOS 12.2 with same subsurface version
>>
>> I had synced 8 dives from my suunto eon core and logged the dives in subsurface on my iPhone awhile ago.
> And I assume you made sure that they are synced to the cloud? On mobile it tends to be worth to force a manual sync by pulling down the dive list and holding for like half a second until it forces a sync.
> Even more so on iOS as that doesn't allow us to sync in the background (which we try to do on Android - not always successfully).
>
>> Today I opened the app on my iPad and tried to sync from the cloud and the dives didn’t show up. So I opened my iPhone app and when it synced to the cloud it popped up a message saying there was a problem with my local data cache and that I copied it to some /var/... directory that was too long to see the whole thing in the message box. And then it synced with the cloud and the 8 newest dive logs disappeared.
> Yeah, so it had them locally, but didn't sync them to the cloud, and then you must have had a change on the cloud side that managed to confuse things (that's exceptionally rare to happen, but it does happen). And it gave up.
> Now, if you had an Android phone, I'd know how to get to the lost data. On iOS? No idea.
>
>> I’m not sure if the iPad sync overwrote the cloud data killing those dive logs or if they had never been synced to the cloud in the first place?
>> Does anyone know how I can recover this data?
> Sadly, not really. They are most likely still happily saved in the iOS file system, but I have no idea how to get to them.
>
> /D

I recently had a similar problem, probably for different reasons(since I
am not an Apple user). This is the weakness of not allowing a straight
divelog download from the cloud, so that you know exactly what to expect
on the local device. Sync does not do a straight download, but a
function of what you last edited locally and what is on the cloud and in
my experience what you get is often not what you expected since you have
more than one local dive log (one on each device) and a sync on each of
them often does not result in what you expect. My advice would be to do
your dive log download from dive computer as well as editing on one
device only, either phone or ipad, and to use the other device for
viewing only.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to