road to 4.9

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Jun 18 08:20:00 PDT 2019

In a new thread, hoping that more people will read it...

I should be emerging from my self inflicted "almost absence" this week. Which means that I once again want to try to get to a 4.9 release.

We discussed this a few times, most of the missing pieces have either been taken care of or are available as a pull request.

What we need are translations, documentation, and testing. A lot of testing.
I will do some testing myself about a week from now (yay, finally), but I'd like to ask everyone here to play with builds based on current master, and to especially try some of the less frequently used parts of the code.
Renumbering dives. Configuring dive computers. More complex operations with dive sites. Import and export functionality.

Sure, I'd love to get this out in July, but I realize that at this point I lost all credibility for statements like this. And in reality the timing will largely depend on how many people will read this email and think "uh, I can't wait for 4.9, then I can switch to the new version for my next dive trip", and how many will actually test current master, report issues, and help fix them.

Thanks