Bugs: profile for hand-entered dives

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jun 22 12:33:45 PDT 2019

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 09:14:45PM +0200, Berthold Stoeger wrote:
> > 1) See attached image. The default profile of 15m for 45 minutes shows a
> > crazy profile that is not useful to anybody. The descent rate to 15m
> > should be in the order of 20m/min, NOT 15m/22min. Similarly the default
> > ascent rate should be around 10m/min. The profile should have a square
> > shape, not a triangular shape.
>
> That is indeed a bug. Weirdly I get a different profile than what you show in
> the picture. But when I enter 45 in the duration box a sensible profile
> appears.

What exactly you get depends in part on your settings when you last used
the planner. I just sent out a pull request that stops using the planner
to set up that initial dive profile and I think that will address this
problem in a reasonably clean way.

> > 2) The normal red cross-haired cursor and the white points on the
> > vertices of the profile are gone so that the default profile cannot be
> > edited on the profile panel. See section 5.1.1 in user manual.
>
> This is a consequence of the half-baked undo system. To edit the profile you
> now have to right click on the profile and select "edit profile". This will go
> into the remnants of the dive edit mode. Perhaps a button should appear for
> manually entered dives?

For people used to the user experience in earlier Subsurface versions this
may be a bit unintuitive, but once you used the new method once I think
it's really straight forward. I don't think this deserves another UI
element.

> Do you think that editing the profile is the common use case? I would rather
> think that people simply enter date, depth and time, isn't it?

This one is interesting. We initially thought that people would prefer the
graphical dive profile entry and some definitely did. But we got a lot of
requests to add the text input fields (which initially we didn't have -
all we had was moving the way points in the profile).

> In any case, after adding a dive, the first field, "Date", should be selected.
> And depth / duration should probably come before the temperature fields...

As we discussed - there is definitely room for improvement in the way we
organize / display information on the screen.