dive planner bug - gas consumption missing

Dean Murray deanmurray1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 02:06:06 PST 2019

Hi all,

Thanks to all that have contributed to this software that I come to
appreciate more and more. After using only the log function for a couple of
years, I have recently started to make use of the dive planner and
appreciate its benefits as compared to likes of MultiDeco. ie that it
recalculates the plan automatically with changes and that it includes the
gas planning information in the output in one step. All this makes for very
practical "what-if" planning. I have some improvement ideas but will
discuss in a later email. For now I wanted to share a bug that some
conditions (that I dont fully understand) can cause the gas consumption
section of the output to stop being visible and updated.

I produced a couple of xml with two scenarios that I have found. (I am in
Win10 with Subsurface 4.8.5)

deanm-planner-bug-a.xml

1. open and then edit the single dive in the planner
2. note that the plan output includes the gas consumption details (all info
below line "Gas consumption (based on SAC 20|17ℓ/min):")
3. note that calculations update and change if you adjust for example the
runtime to 13min (ie all normal so far)
4. delete the 50% deco gas
5. note that the plan output no longer includes gas consumption details
6. if you save the dive plan the gas consumption info will be there in the
notes of the dive plan entry.
7. if you reopen in the editor its still not visible there
8. edits to runtime etc that would normally trigger a recalculation do not
fix it. the gas consumption does not reappear until you add the deco gas
back in

deanm-planner-bug-b.xml

1. as before, but note that the gas consumption is missing as soon as you
open the dive in the planner.
2. change the depth from 45m to 50m and the gas consumption now shows up.
3. change back to 45m and it dissapears again

hope this is helpful to debug it.

Regards

Dean Murray