plans for 4.9

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Mar 5 09:56:29 PST 2019

4.9 is the next release that I hoped to start working on about two weeks ago (which clearly didn't happen). Just for context.

If and when we redo the divesite logic (and discussion on this seems to have fallen dormant again - which could mean that Linus and Berthold are busy writing code... or more likely that Linus is drowning in Linux merge window pull requests and Berthold is back focusing on the undo code) that will likely be a Subsurface 5.0 thing (not that our version numbers mean a lot, but now that Linux is at 5.0, we need to catch up... just kidding... this is a fairly significant change...)

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 9:50 AM, Doug Junkins <douglas.junkins at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’m a little late to the game here, but one thing I would like to see (besides a way to share divesites between multiple users) is some more detailed statistics.
>
> The “yearly statistics” are a good starting point, but I would like to see my statistics based on things like depth of the dive, water temperature, people I dove with, and tags. I also think now that the filter system is updated and more usable, the statistics should be based on the filtered list of dives (or have an option to display statistics on the filtered divelist.)
>
> Doing a quick search for “statistics” in the User Forum indicates that this is something people would like to see, but it was closely tied to the filter update as far as I can tell. If no one else is already working on updating the stats widgets, I can take a stab at it.

Statistics are definitely something where I'm open to new categories. We should make sure we understand how we want to visualize that - another sad story of me doing a poor job of creating a shared vision with the key developers and then seeing that implemented.
So let's talk about what you want to show and how.