Atmospheric pressure data in the dive log.

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Mar 28 07:13:08 PDT 2019

I am considering writing some code that enables one to provide the
atmospheric pressure or altitude for a specific dive. That enables a
more accurate representation of gas partial pressures in the dive
profile, and possibly the ceiling calculations. The motivation for this
is that, in this country at least, there is quite a bit of inland diving
and atmospheric pressure is really required to do a good evaluation of
the deco and the profile. In the planner one can specify the atmospheric
pressure and that makes an enormous positive difference. Divers will
possibly not always have atmospheric pressure data (unless they owned a
Petrel or similar) but they would almost always be able to provide the
altitude of the dive site. At least this would be a first approximation
that would be quite a bit better than assuming sea level.

There are some problems, though. Most importantly, where in the UI to
insert a text box or dropdown box? The screen is already pretty full as
it is. Personally I am not very positive about the utility of the air
temperature in the dive UI and I am not convinced it is being used a
lot. My suggestion would be to replace the air temp box with one for
altitude/pressure.

Any comments?

Kind regards,

willem