Atmospheric pressure data in the dive log.

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Mar 28 08:27:33 PDT 2019

> On Mar 28, 2019, at 7:13 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> I am considering writing some code that enables one to provide the atmospheric pressure or altitude for a specific dive. That enables a more accurate representation of gas partial pressures in the dive profile, and possibly the ceiling calculations. The motivation for this is that, in this country at least, there is quite a bit of inland diving and atmospheric pressure is really required to do a good evaluation of the deco and the profile. In the planner one can specify the atmospheric pressure and that makes an enormous positive difference. Divers will possibly not always have atmospheric pressure data (unless they owned a Petrel or similar) but they would almost always be able to provide the altitude of the dive site. At least this would be a first approximation that would be quite a bit better than assuming sea level.

I believe we already store surface pressure.
https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/7635ee3e776f7adb96dda70ea21920569368ae30/dives/ostc.xml#L17 <https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/blob/7635ee3e776f7adb96dda70ea21920569368ae30/dives/ostc.xml#L17>

So I believe what you are suggesting comes down to having a UI element to actually edit that information, correct?

> There are some problems, though. Most importantly, where in the UI to insert a text box or dropdown box? The screen is already pretty full as it is. Personally I am not very positive about the utility of the air temperature in the dive UI and I am not convinced it is being used a lot. My suggestion would be to replace the air temp box with one for altitude/pressure.

Stating that this is more useful than air temperature is simply a personal preference. I think that a lot of recreational divers might find the temperature more interesting, TBH.
You could make it a preference which one to show. Or we could create a new tab that offers some of the other things that are less frequently used (and for example move air temp, OC/CC selection, and surface pressure all to that tab).

I'm curious what others think