Information tab in desktop version

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri May 3 09:40:02 PDT 2019

I apologize for being absent from this discussion. A lot going on in my life which is zapping my time and energy.

Instead of trying to respond to every single post in this thread, I picked what I believe is the last one to respond to and will try to give my perspective...

- I like the idea of refactoring the two tabs
- when we do that, we should start from a clean slate and think about what makes the most sense, not necessarily what causes the least change
- the Equipment tab has been something I hated for a long time, so we might consider the impact on that as well

With that in mind, and without trying to make decisions, but with the thought of providing input, here are some of my thoughts:

- the suit should be on on the same tab as the equipment; I know some people want to be able to track other equipment as well, but that should be a starting point to make things more generic on that tab
- date, time, location, people on the dive, and the long notes seem all obvious things to have on the notes tab
- I don't think the dive mode belongs there, nor do the temperatures or surface pressure or things like that
- all those other things should move to the information tab - and we need to think about a way to make it obvious for the user which of those are editable

Off list Willem sent me another email with an updated version of his idea for the information tab

I think this is a great visualization that really helps focus the conversation.
- I'm not sure I like the frames.
- I struggle with some of the labels: I know water density is the correct label, but the vast majority of people will only care about fresh/salt so I'd prefer an editable drop down with fresh, salt, custom (which allows the user to enter the specific density if they care).
- I don't know if the order of fields in the first row is ideal... Dive mode as the first one seems off... Duration, Interval, Max depth, Avg depth, then Dive mode?
- The next row that is all about the gases is great
- Similarly the environment, again I don't think I'd lead with the atmospheric pressure, though.
- The four ratings with the labels for the end points I REALLY like. Well done. And with that, shouldn't we just add the rating to that row as well?

Thanks to everyone for the hard work on getting to a consensus here.

I hope this email helps to move the discussion forward.

/D