to 4.9 or not to 4.9

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun May 5 15:12:50 PDT 2019

> On May 5, 2019, at 2:31 PM, Berthold Stoeger <bstoeger at mail.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>
>> With all that said, what's the right path to get there?
>> What should be in, what should wait for the next release?
>
> That's a tough one.
>
> The one thing for which I don't have a solution yet is the multiple-dive-edit
> problem. No information when multiple dives are edited is a recipe for
> disaster. I see it coming: User clicks on a dive site, multiple dives are
> selected. User edits current dive, but all are changed. The good thing is that
> only those fields are changed that have the same value as the edited dive, so
> it shouldn't end up in a total catastrophe.

That's definitely something that needs some form of warning. I'll ponder on that.

> Apart from that, yes undoizing the equipment tab would be nice. There's also
> more subtle things: deleting a dive-computer cannot be undone at the moment.
> But currently I'd rather fix the obvious problems with the dive-site selection.
> I myself am rather busy with live at the moment. Perhaps we can live with a
> double tracked system for one release?

Sure - it's a bit awkward, but hey, we've had much worse :-)

>> How can more people help finish the missing pieces?
>
> Using master and reporting issues would be very helpful. I'm sure there are a
> lot of undetected problems. But be prepared for a rough time.

I think many people here are using master. It's just that not a lot of us dive all the
time so our usage is in bursts. I'll be diving the very last days of June and the first
days of July. So at that point Subsurface and Subsurface-mobile will get quite a bit
of real life testing, multiple dive computers, etc. But in the meantime I always find it
hard to really "simulate" a lot of use. I tend to fall into the same patterns which oddly
don't seem to match what I then end up doing on dive trips.

We do have fairly current binaries for the major platforms and I'm always happy to
make more available when people ask.

> Also ideas or even implementations for the multiple-dive-edit problem would be
> more than welcome.

Let's see if I can come up with something semi smart :-)

Thanks